🔗 Share this article Blues Boss Maresca Rejects Man City Links as Pure Gossip Enzo Maresca previously worked as an assistant to Pep Guardiola at Manchester City. Chelsea head coach Enzo Maresca has branded recent reports connecting him with a return to Manchester City as nothing but hearsay. The 45-year-old, who previously worked as Pep Guardiola's right-hand man at the Etihad, addressed the persistent rumours surrounding his future. Maresca, appointed Chelsea manager in June 2024, is under contract running through the end of the decade, with a potential extension available. "It doesn't affect me at all because I know that is completely unfounded," Maresca said. "And at this moment, there is little room for these kind of things." He further elaborated, Primarily, because I have a contract here until 2029. And my attention, I have stated many times, is solely on this club and I'm honoured to be here. But again, it's speculation. One week ago I was linked with a role in Italy with Juventus. So I don't pay attention because I know that is without foundation." Chelsea, presently placed fourth in the Premier League, are set to face Newcastle United this Saturday in a lunchtime kick-off. Tensions Following Previous Comments Maresca's most recent comments follow after he referred to a previous 48-hour period as his "worst" since arriving at Chelsea. Those initial words had fueled considerable speculation of a potential rift between the manager and the club's key decision-makers. When asked if he had discussed matters with the Chelsea's sporting directors, Maresca responded, "We are in the same building, so we talk about various topics. But about the post-Everton media session, no." The manager did confirm he would "absolutely" remain at the club for the coming campaign and called on the fans to keep backing the team". In more positive news, Maresca indicated that injured forwards Liam Delap and Estevao Willian could be back sooner than expected, possibly in contention for a fixture against Aston Villa later this month. Analysis: An 'Open Wound' The perceived strain between Maresca and the Chelsea board persists as an open wound that still create unease. While there has been no further escalation of the matter in the open, there has also been no apology forthcoming, creating the disagreement unaddressed. The atmosphere during the manager's press conferences has become notably awkward, raising concerns it could impact what has otherwise been a decent beginning to the campaign. Chelsea's sporting situation is positive: they are fourth in the Premier League, have reached the League Cup last four, and can secure a better European position with strong results in their final matches. The prevailing question is whether this behind-the-scenes situation might eventually affect a squad that was just starting to look cohesive.
Enzo Maresca previously worked as an assistant to Pep Guardiola at Manchester City. Chelsea head coach Enzo Maresca has branded recent reports connecting him with a return to Manchester City as nothing but hearsay. The 45-year-old, who previously worked as Pep Guardiola's right-hand man at the Etihad, addressed the persistent rumours surrounding his future. Maresca, appointed Chelsea manager in June 2024, is under contract running through the end of the decade, with a potential extension available. "It doesn't affect me at all because I know that is completely unfounded," Maresca said. "And at this moment, there is little room for these kind of things." He further elaborated, Primarily, because I have a contract here until 2029. And my attention, I have stated many times, is solely on this club and I'm honoured to be here. But again, it's speculation. One week ago I was linked with a role in Italy with Juventus. So I don't pay attention because I know that is without foundation." Chelsea, presently placed fourth in the Premier League, are set to face Newcastle United this Saturday in a lunchtime kick-off. Tensions Following Previous Comments Maresca's most recent comments follow after he referred to a previous 48-hour period as his "worst" since arriving at Chelsea. Those initial words had fueled considerable speculation of a potential rift between the manager and the club's key decision-makers. When asked if he had discussed matters with the Chelsea's sporting directors, Maresca responded, "We are in the same building, so we talk about various topics. But about the post-Everton media session, no." The manager did confirm he would "absolutely" remain at the club for the coming campaign and called on the fans to keep backing the team". In more positive news, Maresca indicated that injured forwards Liam Delap and Estevao Willian could be back sooner than expected, possibly in contention for a fixture against Aston Villa later this month. Analysis: An 'Open Wound' The perceived strain between Maresca and the Chelsea board persists as an open wound that still create unease. While there has been no further escalation of the matter in the open, there has also been no apology forthcoming, creating the disagreement unaddressed. The atmosphere during the manager's press conferences has become notably awkward, raising concerns it could impact what has otherwise been a decent beginning to the campaign. Chelsea's sporting situation is positive: they are fourth in the Premier League, have reached the League Cup last four, and can secure a better European position with strong results in their final matches. The prevailing question is whether this behind-the-scenes situation might eventually affect a squad that was just starting to look cohesive.